Not all fans watch the ball
- ATHENS, Greece Volleyball has been put in the shade in recent years by its younger and naughtier sibling, beach volleyball.
But it's basically the same game with a different number of players. That said, you can't celebrate a volleyball gold medal by building a sandcastle.
The biggest difference? The spectators. Volleyball fans watch the ball, beach volleyball spectators watch the bodies. It's as simple as that.
Both varieties are popular in Greece -- to actually play, that is. When it comes to watching, beach volleyball wins hands, thighs and everything else down. TV also has drawn a line in the sand and decided it's pro-body.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM