Games need a wake-up call
- ATHENS, Greece Send in the crowds.
With large turnouts at swimming, and the popular athletics events soon to begin, Wednesday might prove to be a turning point for the Athens Games.
The Games' official Web site www.athens2004.com is even boasting, "With such a high selling rate, the tickets are already hard to find."
Of course, the previous day the same site quoted an Indian archer as saying she'd never before seen so many spectators watch her compete. I was at the archery competition Tuesday and there couldn't have been more than 1,000 people in the Kalimarmaro Stadium.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM