4:40 PM ET, January 10, 2010
U of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
Dansby's 17-yard return on first OT drive sends Cards to second round
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Old master Kurt Warner and playoff newcomer Aaron Rodgers staged a passing duel to rival any the NFL has seen. And when the highest-scoring postseason game in league history ended abruptly in overtime, Rodgers flung his helmet to the sideline in disgust.
Game for the Ages
Sunday's defense-optional clash between the Packers and the Cardinals became the highest-scoring playoff game in NFL history when Arizona's Karlos Dansby returned an overtime fumble for the winning score.
|Date||Winner (pts)||Loser (pts)||Total pts|
|Jan. 10, 2010||Cardinals (51)||Packers (45)||96|
|Dec. 30, 1995||Eagles (58)||Lions (37)||95|
|Jan. 16, 2000||Rams (49)||Vikings (37)||86|
|Jan. 2, 1982||Chargers (41)||Dolphins (38)||79|
|Jan. 3, 1993||Bills (41)||Oilers (38)||79|
More from ESPN.com
Kurt Warner's timeless performance in the Cardinals' opening-round win over the Packers made it look like the ageless QB could play forever, Mike Sando writes. Blog
The Packers' loss to the Cardinals was their season in microcosm, and in the end, they simply didn't have enough gas to climb out of the hole they'd dug themselves, Kevin Seifert writes. Blog
• Karlos Dansby's 17-yard fumble return for the winning score came just 1:18 into the extra period, making this the second-quickest finish to an OT playoff game in NFL history.
• It's also the second playoff OT to end on a defensive TD out of 26 games which have reached overtime. The other? Al Harris with a 52-yard interception return for the winning score in the 2003 NFC Wild Card game for the Packers.
• Kurt Warner threw for 379 yards and five touchdowns, his second career five-TD postseason game. He joins Daryle Lamonica as the only players with a pair of games with at least 5 passing TDs.
• Larry Fitzgerald had a pair of TDs, giving him nine in the postseason for his career. That's the highest total in NFL history through any player's first five playoff games.
• This was just the second time in the Super Bowl era in which both QBs threw for at least 300 yards and four pass TDs in the same game, and Kurt Warner was involved in both. The other was the 1999 Divisional playoff game against Jeff George and the Vikings.
• Aaron Rodgers set a Packers single-game postseason record with 422 pass yards, and Green Bay scored its highest points total in a postseason game.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Rodgers completed passes to 10 receivers, Warner to seven. ... Arizona's Beanie Wells rushed for 91 yards on 14 carries, 6.5 per attempt, outgaining Green Bay's Ryan Grant, who had 65 on 11 attempts. ... The Packers' playoff passing record was 332 yards by Lynn Dickey at Dallas on Jan. 16, 1983.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||7.4||9.3|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||5-6||5-7|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||1|
|TD||11:08||Tim Hightower 1 Yard Run (Neil Rackers Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 40 yds, 3:38
|TD||9:23||Early Doucet 15 Yard Pass From Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 2 plays, 22 yds, 0:48
|FG||0:38||Neil Rackers 23 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 9 plays, 54 yds, 5:20
|TD||7:02||Aaron Rodgers 1 Yard Run (Mason Crosby Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 6 plays, 52 yds, 4:14
|TD||2:23||Early Doucet 15 Yard Pass From Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 79 yds, 4:36
|FG||0:04||Mason Crosby 20 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 8 plays, 73 yds, 2:16
|TD||11:24||Larry Fitzgerald 33 Yard Pass From Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 6 plays, 80 yds, 3:45
|TD||7:25||Greg Jennings 6 Yard Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 10 plays, 80 yds, 3:55
|TD||4:14||Jordy Nelson 11 Yard Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 57 yds, 3:13
|TD||2:41||Larry Fitzgerald 11 Yard Pass From Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 3 plays, 73 yds, 1:33
|TD||14:16||James Jones 30 Yard Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 80 yds, 3:26
|TD||11:02||John Kuhn 1 Yard Run (Mason Crosby Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 3 plays, 67 yds, 0:56
|TD||5:02||Steve Breaston 17 Yard Pass From Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 11 plays, 80 yds, 6:02
|TD||2:00||Spencer Havner 11 Yard Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 71 yds, 3:03
|TD||13:50||Karlos Dansby 17 Yard Fumble Return|
Drive info: 3 plays, -3 yds, 1:18