New Orleans sweetening the pot; Detroit and others looking for running backs
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay says the Saints have sweetened their offer as they try to trade up and that running backs are on the rise.
Thursday, April 24
Saints upping the anteAccording to a league source, the New Orleans Saints are getting more serious in their efforts to move from No. 10 overall into the top portion of the first round in order to select DT Sedrick Ellis and are dangling former Pro Bowl OT Jammal Brown in front of a team with a higher pick.
Deductive reasoning tells us that team is likely the Kansas City Chiefs, who have the fifth overall pick. The St. Louis Rams should take DT Glenn Dorsey at No. 2, and the Atlanta Falcons (No. 3) and the Oakland Raiders (No. 4) do not have much interest in Ellis. The New York Jets won't want to trade back from sixth overall because of the chance they could get RB Darren McFadden at No. 6, and the New England Patriots are rumored to be leaning toward Ellis at No. 7 because of the value that pick would offer. All of which means Kansas City is in a perfect spot.
DE Chris Long will be the Chiefs' pick if he's available, but should he be off the board, Kansas City will want to retreat. Swapping first-round picks with New Orleans and bringing Brown into the fold would be an attractive scenario, as the Chiefs then could opt for another offensive lineman at No. 10 or get a much better value on their preferred defensive end, Derrick Harvey. And don't forget that extra picks beyond the swap of first-rounders likely would be included as well, so this would be a hard deal for Kansas City to turn down.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Union: NFL, Ravens not helping in Rice probe
- Colts WR Wayne won't play vs. Steelers
- Harvin wants to reach 'next level' with Jets
- Saints to be without RBs Thomas, Robinson
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2008 NFL DRAFT
The 2008 draft lasted 14 hours, 26 minutes. Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long (above), selected by Miami, was the No. 1 overall pick. This year's Mr. Irrelevant -- the last pick in the draft -- is David Vobora, a linebacker from Idaho selected by St. Louis with the 252nd pick.
Round-by-round, team-by-team picks• Round: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
• AFC East: Buffalo | Miami | N. England | NY Jets
• AFC North: Baltimore | Cinc. | Cleve. | Pitt.
• AFC South: Houston | Indy | Jax | Tennessee
• AFC West: Denver | K.C. | Oakland | San Diego
• NFC East: Dallas | NYG | Philadephia | Wash.
• NFC North: Chicago | Detroit | G.B. | Minnesota
• NFC South: Atlanta | Carolina | N.O. | Tampa
• NFC West: Arizona | S.F. | St. Louis | Seattle
Inside Radio City Music Hall• Panoramic views
Commentary/Features• Wickersham: Bears, Ravens take opposite turns
• Williamson: Remembering Heath Benedict
• Yasinskas: Falcons should be patient with Ryan
• Clayton: Six draft trends
• Chadiha: 10 great marriages
• Walker: NFC East draft review
• Sando: NFC West draft review
• Willamson: NFC North draft review
• Yasinskas: NFC South draft review
• Sando: AFC East draft review
• Williamson: AFC West draft review
• Walker: AFC North draft review
• Yasinskas: AFC South draft review
• Clayton: Day 1 winners and losers
• Williamson: Davis couldn't resist McFadden
• Walker: Ravens had to work for Flacco
• Sando: Long addresses Rams' D-line needs
• Chadiha: AFC East hustle continues on draft day
• Yasinskas: Ryan gives Falcons hope, identity
Mel Kiper• Kiper's team-by-team draft grades
• Day 1 good, bad moves: Questionable Titans
News• 2008 breaks previous trade record
• Jets sign NCAA career rushing leader Woodhead
• Lions pick Smith with first pick of second day
• Miami, Long make it official | NFL Local
Video• Green: First-round pick instant analysis
• Complete draft analysis
• One-on-one with Jake Long
• One-on-one with Chris Long
• One-on-one with Matt Ryan
• One-on-one with Darren McFadden
• One-on-one with Glenn Dorsey
• One-on-one with Vernon Gholston
• Ed Werder on Cowboys
• Norv Turner interview
• Fantasy Spin
Audio• Jake Long | Chris Long | Matt Ryan
• Darren McFadden | Vernon Gholston
• Glenn Dorsey | Keith Rivers | Chris Williams
• Lawrence Jackson
SportsNation• Vote: Best first-round pick? | Potential busts?
• Grades: How did your team fare?
Scouts Inc.• Analysis: Round 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Cheat Sheets: RB | DL | DB | LB | OL | REC | QB
• McShay: Seven-round mock draft
• Revisiting the 2005 draft | 2005 re-draft