Manning compares well to Marino
There aren't many players who can compare to Dan Marino in his prime, but Peyton Manning is close.
There are some similarities between the two that may account for Manning's assault on Marino's record for touchdown passes.
The first thing that jumps out at me is the fact that neither was sacked much. Marino was sacked around 16 times a year on average, while Manning is averaging about 21 sacks per season. These numbers are amazing because both have limited athleticism.
The reason for that success? Both Marino in his time and Manning have an excellent sense of what every player on their offense can do. They know the receivers' routes like parents know their kids names and have a seemingly innate ability to break down a defense.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Peterson just 'having fun' with Sherman feud
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Ravens' Harbaugh: Proud of Rice's response
- Agent: Ex-Cowboy Brent to meet with Goodell
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- WinCraft Denver Broncos Peyton Manning Ultra Decal