Older RBs deserve respect
Given the demands of the RB position, I have great respect for older backs like Emmitt Smith, Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis.
I laugh at the NFL's defenseless-player rule, which outlaws leading with the helmet against offensive players in a "defenseless position" (including the QB in the act of throwing and the receiver and punt returner before the catch). Why do I laugh? Because it's always legal to hit the runner with the helmet.
Have you ever watched a running back closely? One defender has him by the shoulder pads and helmet, another has his legs and another takes a shot at his ribs. Or he gets spun around and someone drills him in the back with their helmet.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos' Bowlen has Alzheimer's, steps down
- Rams coach: Sam 'absolutely not' distraction
- Belichick: Gronkowski cleared by doctors
- Falcons WR Jones cleared for training camp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Women's New York Jets Sideline 9Forty Green Adjustable Hat