A look around the Big Ten
The Ron Turner regime finally ended after a 28-21 overtime loss to Northwestern that left the Illini 3-8. It was Turner's sixth losing season in eight years, and he beat just two Division I-A opponents in his final two years. Turner's players all say they loved him, but they certainly didn't win for him. Illinois was doomed this season by a quarterback carousel that started with sixth-year senior Jon Beutjer, continued with Chris Pazan and ended with Brad Bower. The three combined for just 184.7 passing yards per game.
MVP: TB Pierre Thomas. He supplanted E.B. Halsey as Illinois' featured back, and the talented sophomore led the conference in all-purpose yards. He averaged 5.9 yards per carry and 27.1 yards on kick returns.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Michigan State Spartans Green Football Practice Legend T-shirt