Gainesville the best destination
Ron Zook and Tyrone Willingham struggled to win games, but both left plenty of talent for their successors.
- Steve Spurrier is in at South Carolina, but that's the only vacancy filled out of 16 Division I-A head coaching positions that already have opened up. Which jobs are most desirable?
The following is a breakdown of the top-five opportunities, from an overall talent standpoint, for a new coach to step in and have immediate success, as well as an examination of the type of schemes and coaching personalities that will be optimal to maximizing the existing personnel at each program.
Florida president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley showed a lack of patience by firing coach Ron Zook with four regular-season games left. The administration failed to account for the maturation and development of what was a young but incredibly talented football team.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider