Palko, Tate on the verge of stardom
While attention at this point in the season is focused on those first-year wonders at one end and Heisman trophy candidates on the other, now is also a good time to recognize those players in between guys expected back next seasonn who have experienced second-half breakthroughs.
Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst, Cal WR Geoff McArthur, Boston College DE Mathias Kiwanuka, Maryland MLB D'Qwell Jackson, Oklahoma SS Donte Nicholson and LSU CB Corey Webster used strong finishes in 2003 to garner positive attention heading into the current season. The same should be true for the players on our list, who have emerged from relative obscurity early this season and can now be considered tomorrow's potential stars.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Briles on Fisher's critique: Worry about ACC
- FSU coach explains why Winston unpunished
- Top WR picks Auburn over USC, Tide, OSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Boston College Eagles Maroon Football Tech Performance T-Shirt