A look around the Big Ten
- Can Northwestern contain Michigan's balanced attack? Will injuries finally catch up to the Hawkeyes? Will Michigan State QB Drew Stanton return this season? Our Big Ten notebook answers these questions and more.
If coach Ron Turner thought that his team's comeback victory over Indiana improved his chances of returning next season, he wasn't saying it. "I don't even think about that," he said after his team rallied from a 19-0 deficit to win 26-22, ending a 14-game conference losing streak. "I'm just happy for these players. They're a special group of kids."
The man who will determine Turner's fate, athletic director Ron Guenther, has remained silent while the media speculate about a replacement. Turner's players, however, want their coach to return. "We all stand behind him," punter Steve Weatherford said. "We all love him." The fans don't love him, though. Only about 11 percent would like to see him return, according to a chicagosports.com poll. That's not surprising considering Illinois is just 9-25 since winning the Big Ten in 2001.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider