Pollack, James tough to block
Derrick Johnson and Erasmus James highlight Scouts Inc.'s list of the nation's elite players defensive players.
- The BCS standings and Heisman Trophy race tend to occupy most of the attention this time of year. Lost in the shuffle are the defensive standouts who, in some cases, play an even bigger role than the offensive stars when it comes to the success of their respective teams.
Sure, the Bronko Nagurski, Lombardi and Butkus awards recognize college football's elite defensive players. But even the award winners rarely get the props they deserve.
With just over a month remaining in the 2004 college football regular season, the cream of the crop has had ample time to rise to the top. It is a good a time to take a look at the 10 biggest impact defensive players in the nation.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
- Missouri rewards Pinkel with bump to $3.1M
- Heisman RBs Salaam, Williams on Hall ballot
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider