A look around the Sun Belt
North Texas freshman running back Jamario Thomas is the nation's leading rusher, with 166.2 yards a game.
None was more surprised to contribute so mightily nor has been more surprising than true freshman running back Jamario Thomas.
"I was looking forward to redshirting in a way, but in a way I wasn't," Thomas said this week.
It's good he wasn't set on easing into college football. Because when the Mean Green lost Patrick Cobbs, the nation's leading rusher in 2003, in the second game of the season, the hopes of a run-first offense were thrust onto Thomas.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's New Mexico State Aggies Grey Heathered Sideline Razor T-Shirt