Sooners, Trojans must defend pass
Scouts Inc. identifies the top contenders for the national title and breaks down each team's biggest weakness.
In 1997, it was around this time that quarterback Brian Griese emerged as Michigan's offensive leader. The same was true for Tennessee, with quarterback Tee Martin, in 1998. It was also about this time last year that LSU's secondary rounded into shape, allowing coach Nick Saban to play the aggressive blitz-heavy scheme he always envisioned for his team.
The weekly grind can also expose blemishes. In 2002, Georgia's lack of consistency in the passing game, along with its inability to stay healthy, led to the Bulldogs' only loss of the season to Florida.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- TCU's Fields surrenders to assault warrant
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Women's Auburn Tigers Orange Charged Cotton V-Neck T-Shirt