Purdue must deal with prosperity
Our scout breaks down the potential "trap" games and top individual matchups on this week's schedule.
- With so many Top-25 teams squaring off on "Showdown Saturday", there aren't as many potential pitfalls for ranked teams this weekend. However, some teams are walking into dangerous minefields.Trap Games
Clemson Tigers at Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia has beaten up on four teams with a combined record of 7-13 this season. While everyone knows Al Groh's team is good, the question is how good? Clemson certainly isn't the measuring stick for the Cavs to find out whether they are in the same class as Florida State or Miami. But Clemson is the best team the Cavs have faced to date.
Clemson isn't as talented as it was a season ago, but it also isn't as bad as its 1-3 record might indicate. Tommy Bowden's team beat a tough Wake Forest squad in the opener. But they lost a heartbreaker at home to Georgia Tech and haven't been able to bounce back on the road against Texas A&M and Florida State. The one thing we know is that Clemson has faced solid competition on a weekly basis, which is more than can be said for Virginia.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Oklahoma State Cowboys Hail Mary Youth-Size Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider