A look around the Big East
Take a team-by-team look at the Big East.
- Will the Mountaineers meet their remaining goals? Can Rutgers get over the proverbial hump? Our Big East notebook addresses those questions, along with looks at Connecticut's historic win, Pittsburgh's conservative play-calling and more.
Coach Tom O'Brien's tailback carousel featured a new member Saturday when A.J. Brooks set a freshman rushing record at BC in a 29-7 victory over Division I-AA Massachusetts at Alumni Stadium. Brooks, the third BC freshman to surpass 100 rushing yards in a game this season, ran 23 times for 160 yards, including runs of 1 and 49 yards. O'Brien pointed out that Brooks nearly broke the 200-yard barrier. "He could have had 50 more if he didn't have one called back," said the veteran coach, whose team (4-1) is idle this weekend.
Brooks got the call after freshman Andre Callender injured his right groin a week earlier in the Eagles' lone loss to Wake Forest. Callender, who had 114 yards in his starting debut vs. Penn State in Week 2, was in the lineup because freshman L.V. Whitworth hyperextended his knee after running for 129 yards in the opener against Ball State. All three backs could be available when BC visits Pittsburgh on Oct. 16. Whitworth made his first appearance since the opener Saturday at was "90 percent" healthy, running for 72 yards on 15 tries. Good luck to O'Brien in choosing a starter out of that talented bunch.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Rutgers Scarlet Knights Coaches Performance Scarlet Polo
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider