Davis' inexperience could hurt 'Pack
Scouts, Inc., examines the N.C. State-Virginia Tech matchup and sees the Hokies edging the Wolfpack.
- North Carolina State and Virginia Tech meet for the 45th time when the two teams collide on Saturday at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg. However, it will be the first time in the 104-year old series that this game has conference implications. Virginia Tech is one of two new Atlantic Coast Conference members this year. It will look to keep the ball rolling after opening league play with a 41-17 win over Duke last week.
When: Sat., noon ET (ESPN)
Where: Lane Stadium, Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Tech has won four of the last six meetings between these two schools and holds a 23-17-4 overall advantage in the series. In their last meeting, the Hokies and Wolfpack played to a 13-13 tie at Lane Stadium in 1992. The close score was nothing new to the series, as 27 games have been decided by seven points or less. Four of the last five contests have been decided by four points or less.
This game also features two of the best coaches in the country, as North Carolina State's Chuck Amato and Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer square off against each other for the first time. Amato has tallied a 35-18 record with the Wolfpack while Beamer is clearly the more tenured of the two with 18 seasons as the head coach of the Hokies under his belt.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Virginia Tech Hokies Full-Size Autograph Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider