Team preview: Oklahoma State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
To say that Les Miles has made an impact at Oklahoma State would be quite an understatement.
The program was mired in quicksand when Miles took over for Bob Simmons before to the 2001 season. Just one winning season had been celebrated in Stillwater the previous 12 years, and campus spirit was at an all-time low.
The Cowboys were saddled with playing at aging Lewis Field and its capacity of less than 50,000-the second-smallest stadium in the Big 12-and worse, attendance had dwindled to less than 40,000 per home game during Simmons' final season.
But Miles jumped at the chance to kick-start the school he had come to know and love. He was OSU's offensive coordinator in 1997, the only winning season of the dubious dozen years before him, and didn't think twice about leaving his job as an assistant on the staff of the Dallas Cowboys.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Oklahoma State Cowboys Replica Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider