Team preview: Arkansas State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
Times were tough at Arkansas State when the Indians won only one game in 2000 and two in 2001.
Steve Roberts was hired to fix the problem. When he led the Indians to a 6-7 overall and 3-3 record in the Sun Belt Conference in 2002, Roberts was given a contract extension and expansion that runs through the 2007 season.
And even though the Indians went only 5-7 last year and 3-4 in the conference, Roberts continued to energize the players and followers of the program.
If he can do that again in 2004, the former coach at Southern Arkansas University and Northwestern (La.) State probably deserves another contract extension.
Roberts has been able to convince everyone around the program to adopt his "I Will'' philosophy. That may become tougher this year. A youth movement is in store at ASU.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider