Team Preview: UTEP
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
The direction of UTEP's football program changed drastically in the off-season, and in a very short time.
No sooner had athletic director Bob Stull landed wayward head football coach Mike Price, fans learned that Conference USA was willing to take a chance on the beleaguered program.
For nearly 40 years, UTEP called the WAC home. After the great split of 1996, the Miners were suddenly the oldest member of a league that has had more schools come and go than WAC commissioner Karl Benson cares to count.
In some ways, the Miners' big move allowed Price's past transgressions at Alabama to fade away to little more than a whisper. Now, folks in El Paso are preparing to say goodbye to their WAC home of 37 seasons and hello to Conference USA in the fall of 2005.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Ex-Iowa player sues over 'rhabdo' injuries
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider