Team preview: Navy
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
Johnson, a proven winner at I-AA powerhouse Georgia Southern before taking over at Navy in 2002, did one of the best coaching jobs in the country last season. Johnson took over a Navy program that had recorded a 1-20 record the previous two seasons (the worst two-year stretch in school history) and turned it into a bowl team in just his second season.
The Naval Academy rewarded Johnson by extending his contract through the 2009 season, but it might have a hard time keeping him if the Middies keep winning. The extension is well-deserved -- Johnson led Navy to just its third winning season in the last 20 years and its first Commander in Chief's Trophy (thanks to wins over Army and Air Force) since 1981.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Buckeyes' Miller throwing ahead of schedule
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
- Man acquitted in death of EMU football player
- Fitzgerald: Union push 'unified' Northwestern
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Navy Midshipmen Navy Football Tech Performance T-Shirt