Team Preview: Rice
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
As the world celebrated the 60th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion in June, Ken Hatfield was blowing out 61 candles on his birthday cake. It seems fitting a man born on such a historic day would be a leader of young men decades later.
Hatfield is serving as president of the American Football Coaches Association in a year where the Colorado recruiting controversy is fresh on everyone's mind. He has a strict code of honor he expects his players to follow, much like the disciplinary approach he perfected during his coaching days at the Air Force Academy.
The 25-year veteran head coach survived a little scare of his own as the Rice University hierarchy discussed the possibility of ending its commitment to Division I athletics, including the disbanding of football. The administration set aside such talks for now, but it's clear the athletic department budget needs to come in line, and soon.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider