Team preview: New Mexico
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
After his third season, the usual honeymoon cutoff, Long had a 12-23 record and back-to-back fifth-place ties (and 3-4 records) in the Mountain West Conference. Long's overall record included a 3-9 1998 debut.
Fast forward to 2003 and the end of year six of the Long era. By that time, the Lobos had posted three straight winning seasons and two straight trips to the Las Vegas Bowl. Last season New Mexico -- the only school in the nation to increase its winning output every year since 1999 -- tagged conference champ Utah with its only league loss and beat perennial conference power Colorado State for the first time since 1995.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stoops bashes Saban's 'consolation' remark
- NCAA's top cop: Cheaters 'will be found out'
- NCAA infractions chair: Reasons for inactivity
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Mexico State Aggies Throwback Mini Football