Team preview: BYU
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
The numbers would suggest that transformation has taken place. But if you ask defensive coordinator Bronco Mendenhall, the defensive turnaround (14th in the nation in total defense) shouldn't be much of a shock.
"I think the important thing to note is that last year was a baseline, a starting point," he said. "I don't know how you can have one coach come in, teaching assistant coaches and players in the first year -- under difficult circumstances as the season went along -- and finish 14th in the country. I don't know how you could say that shouldn't be the baseline."
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- OK State has APR penalty rescinded by NCAA
- Kentucky great 'Wah Wah' Jones dies at 88
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's BYU Cougars Blue 'Royal, Strong and True' Fan T-Shirt