Team preview: BYU
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
The numbers would suggest that transformation has taken place. But if you ask defensive coordinator Bronco Mendenhall, the defensive turnaround (14th in the nation in total defense) shouldn't be much of a shock.
"I think the important thing to note is that last year was a baseline, a starting point," he said. "I don't know how you can have one coach come in, teaching assistant coaches and players in the first year -- under difficult circumstances as the season went along -- and finish 14th in the country. I don't know how you could say that shouldn't be the baseline."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Four QBs, two RBs named Heisman finalists
- Clowney gets ticket for driving 110 in S.C.
- Wake Forest hires coach Clawson of BGSU
- Okla. St. to discipline cheerleader over gaffe
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth BYU Cougars Blue #2 Football Game Jersey