Team preview: Western Michigan
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
Gary Darnell has been around college football long enough to know you need more than gifted players to field a winning team.
"Team chemistry is what gets it done for you," the eighth-year WMU head coach said, borrowing a page from the recent success of the New England Patriots.
"Talent alone doesn't get it done."
If that's the case, then the Broncos simply have not had the horses to run with the top of the pack the last three seasons in the MAC West. After producing four straight winning seasons to begin his career at WMU, Darnell's squads have finished below .500 the last three seasons, including a combined 7-9 in the conference the last two years.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider