Team preview: Kentucky
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
If, at the end of this season, Kentucky fans are partying like it's 1989, Rich Brooks will be ecstatic. Heck, he'd be pleasantly surprised if they're partying like it's 1979.
An explanation: During Brooks' first tenure as a college coach with the post-Dan Fouts Oregon Ducks, he withstood back-to-back 2-9 seasons before breaking .500 at 6-5 in ... 1979.
The Ducks' first bowl bid in 26 years wouldn't come until, yep, 1989, when Brooks pieced together an 8-4 season and a trip to the Independence Bowl.
So, what consolation can be dredged from this nostalgic wax for UK backers? Brooks believes the infrastructure for a turnaround from last season's 4-8 finish in Lexington is far more advanced than what he had in Eugene.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kentucky Wildcats Practice Legend Authentic Font Blue Performance T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider