Team preview: Central Michigan
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
Something has to give in Mount Pleasant this fall.
First-year head coach Brian Kelly is not used to losing. In fact, in 13 seasons at NCAA Division II Grand Valley State University he never had a losing season.
In 2002 and '03, Kelly's squads won the D-II national title, and he departed for CMU in late December with a lifetime record of 118-35-2.
The Chippewas have been at the opposite end of the football spectrum, posting only one winning season, 6-5 in 1998, over the last decade.
For a football program that has the 20th best winning percentage (.613, 521-323-34) of all NCAA Division I-A schools since 1896, these are hard times.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Women's Central Michigan Chippewas Maroon Tri-Blend Football T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider