Team preview: Buffalo
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
Anybody who believes the adage that looks can be deceiving hasn't been watching the University of Buffalo football team the last two seasons. The Bulls have been every bit as bad as their record and the statistics indicate.
Buffalo, which entered the 2002 season beaming with optimism after winning three games in Jim Hofher's inaugural 2001 campaign, have lost 22-of-24 since and are 7-50 since returning to Division 1-A after a 29-year hiatus in 1999.
Granted, UB's timing could have been better. The Mid-American conference has never been stronger than it was last season and the MAC continued to show no mercy. UB was outscored 289-138 in conference last season. Miami's Ben Roethlisberger threw for nearly twice as many touchdowns (37) as the entire Buffalo team scored (19) all season.
Still, the mood surrounding the team is upbeat.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider