Team preview: Auburn
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
Just one year ago, Tommy Tuberville was on top of the world. His Auburn football program had seemingly turned the corner. He was winning the recruiting battles against in-state foe Alabama, which had lost Dennis Franchione to Texas A&M, replaced him with Mike Price-who was fired after a drinking binge at a Pensacola, Fla., strip club-and then replaced Price with inexperienced NFL assistant Mike Shula.
The Sporting News picked the Tigers as its preseason No. 1 team. Four Auburn running backs-Ronnie Brown, Tre Smith and Brandon Jacobs-graced the cover of the New York Times' preseason edition.
The Southern Cal rolled into town.
And that was that.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Auburn Tigers Blue BCS National Championship Bound Pique Xtra-Lite Polo
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider