Team preview: Akron
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
If you just look at the surface, Akron's decision to replace Lee Owens after last season may be surprising to some. Then again, maybe it wasn't.
Owens, who posted a 40-61 record in nine seasons, did lead the Zips to their first winning record since 2000 and a third-place finish behind Miami and Marshall in the MAC East. However, the Zips -- who returned 17 starters, including all 11 on offense -- went just 5-5 against Division I-A competition while playing a schedule that was the third easiest in the country. Akron was just 12-20 against Division I-A opponents (with a combined record of 42-94) in Owens' final three seasons.
"It's our expectation to compete for MAC Championships on an annual basis in football and to compete with the upper-tier MAC teams on a consistent basis," Akron athletic director Mike Thomas said last November in a teleconference announcing his decision to replace Owens, who has since accepted the head coaching position at Division II Ashland (Ohio) University. "In the past nine years, that has not happened. I, along with the university leadership, have high expectations for all the athletic programs, including football."
A month later, Akron hired J.D. Brookhart to fulfill those expectations.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Adidas Women's Akron Zips Tri-Blend Navy Football T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider