Team preview: Connecticut
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 117 Division I-A teams. To subscribe to Insider, click here. To order a copy of the 384-page book, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com.COACH AND PROGRAM
Never has there been a better time for Connecticut to make its move from being a I-A independent to joining the Big East. While the folks in Storrs don't like to acknowledge the fact that the exodus of Miami and Virginia Tech leaves the conference wide open this year as it might diminish anything the Huskies accomplish UConn couldn't ask for a better opportunity to succeed immediately, especially with 17 returning starters in tow.
UConn does like to boast about how its nine wins last season were the most of any current or future Big East conference member besides departing Miami (which won 11 games). The Huskies equaled Louisville (which joins in 2005) and topped West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh and Boston College (eight wins apiece). If you look past the smoke screen, you'll see that two of the Huskies' three losses were to Big East members last year (Boston College, 24-14, and Virginia Tech, 47-13). The Huskies did sneak past Rutgers, 38-31, and, were it not for a heartbreaking 31-24 loss at North Carolina State, UConn would have won the final seven games of the 2003 season and would likely have earned itself a bowl bid.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider