Utes one win from outright title
- Three months ago, Urban Meyer would not have believed you if told his team would enter its regular-season finale against BYU with a chance to win the league title outright.
"I didn't know this team then," said Meyer. "I didn't know how it would deal with adversity, with things like injuries and suspensions and losses. But I do now, and this team has guts and character. So am I surprised now? No."
The Utes -- 8-2 overall and 5-1 in conference -- can win its title and a berth in the Liberty Bowl by beating the struggling Cougars in Provo. Meyer, whose staff and players this week are referring to BYU as "the team down south" is learning more and more about the bitter rivalry.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
- Missouri rewards Pinkel with bump to $3.1M
- Heisman RBs Salaam, Williams on Hall ballot
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Mexico State Aggies Throwback Mini Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider