Woods the key to beating Sooners
- Coach Mark Mangino already was a favorite to win Big 12 Coach of the Year honors for the job he did turning the Jayhawks around this season, but his most daunting coaching job will come over the next four games.
When quarterback Bill Whittemore injured his collarbone early against Kansas State, the Jayhawks' potent offense sputtered, gaining only 84 yards over the last three quarters. Last year Whittemore carried the team before spraining his knee with three games left, at which point the Jayhawks fell apart.
Mangino will need to avoid such a collapse, and he'll have to chose between Brian Luke, who filled in for Whittemore last year, and John Nielsen, neither of whom distinguished himself against the Wildcats.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider