Top Pac-10 talent
ESPN.com's Mel Kiper lists the top five players on the roster of each Pac-10 team.
Originally Published: July 12, 2004By Mel Kiper Jr. | Special to ESPN Insider
- Editor's note: ESPN.com's Mel Kiper Jr. continues his look at the best players in each conference by examining the top five players on the roster of each Pac-10 team (schools listed in alphabetical order). Arizona Wildcats
1. Mike Bell, RB, jr. -- Rushed for 920 yards last season and averaged 5.5 yards per carry. Bell caught only six passes last year, and the coaching staff would like to get him the ball more in those situations.
2. Steve Fleming, TE, sr. -- A strong 6-foot-5, 255-pounder who had 24 catches last season and should top 30 this year.
3. Darrell Brooks, S, jr. -- Has very good instincts for the position along with excellent physical ability.
4. Marcus Smith, DE, jr. -- Has cat-like quickness at 6-5, 250 and needs to become a sack artist if the Wildcats hope to improve on defense and make some noise in the Pac-10.
5. Brandon Phillips, OT, sr. -- Regarded as one of the better tackles in the league entering last season but injured his knee and missed the last nine games of the season. Phillips has been granted a sixth year of eligibility and should be back in the fold this season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida banged up entering spring practice
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Ex-Iowa player sues over 'rhabdo' injuries
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com