Sooners consistently doing it all
There are plenty of reasons for Oklahoma's dominance, and there are plenty of small-college sleepers out there.
Originally Published: October 27, 2003By Mel Kiper Jr. | Special to ESPN Insider
- With the college football landscape changing every week, one thing has remained a constant since day one this year: The Oklahoma Sooners are 100 percent deserving of the top spot in all the polls and are clearly the most impressive, complete team I have seen all year.Does that mean they'll finish as national champions? That was my prediction back in July, but as the Miami Hurricanes can tell you there are never any guarantees. That's the beauty of this game, the kind of underdog and Cinderella stories like we witnessed when Ohio State survived bumps in the road during the 2002 regular season and then found a way to pull out a 31-24 overtime victory over Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.So far, Bob Stoops has turned away the NFL and other college programs to stay at Oklahoma.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com