Irish rush to judgment
- Notre Dame panicked. But don't blame Tuesday's firing of football coach Ty Willingham on athletic director Kevin White. This decision was made by the Board of Trustees.
Notre Dame didn't have the patience to allow Willingham time to implement his West Coast offense with upperclassmen or players suitable for the scheme. Notre Dame looked West, saw how Urban Meyer had turned Utah around in two years and wondered, "Why can't we do that here?"
The answer: Because you're Notre Dame, and you don't admit the same players Utah, USC and others are allowed to admit.
Notre Dame mistakenly believes it is only a great coach away from a national title-game berth. That's not the case. Each year Notre Dame loses key recruits to USC and the Florida schools because of academics and geography.
Notre Dame can't do anything about its location, but it can change its coach, and it can change its admission standards -- although it refused to change them for Willingham.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider