Football 101: Zone blitz and 30 package
- The 100th edition of the Ohio State-Michigan game pairs two of the best defensive teams in the country. The Buckeyes enter the game ranked sixth in total defense, while Michigan is ranked No. 7. Both teams have multiple defensive packages and the ability to do a lot of things with their schemes.
In fact, the Michigan and Ohio State defenses are similar in a lot of ways, but it all starts with an attacking philosophy. On running downs, both defenses will use the zone blitz to get the eighth man in the box to help stop the run. On passing downs, both units have several nickel schemes, including a three-down lineman package.
Today's class will look at how both teams use the zone blitz to get an eighth man in the box and also take a look at how they utilize the 30 package on third down.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider