Football 101: Special teams
- Every week you hear college football coaches talk about the importance of the kicking game and how it will play a key role in deciding who wins or loses. Today's class will look at one element of the kicking game that changes momentum and impacts the outcome of the game more than any other -- blocked kicks.
This week's class will tackle not only why this area of the kicking game is so critical but also look at different philosophies in regard to the overall kicking game.
All coaching staffs realize and stress the importance of the kicking game and blocked kicks, but none have done a better job over the years than Virginia Tech. The Hokies under Frank Beamer have been outstanding in all phases of special teams but particularly cause havoc with their kick-blocking ability. In 189 games under Beamer, Virginia Tech has 97 blocked kicks. Fifty-one of those have been blocked punts with 14 of the blocks resulting in touchdowns.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Virginia Tech Hokies Maroon #1 Football Game Jersey
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider