Football 101: Special teams
This week's class will tackle not only why this area of the kicking game is so critical but also look at different philosophies in regard to the overall kicking game.
All coaching staffs realize and stress the importance of the kicking game and blocked kicks, but none have done a better job over the years than Virginia Tech. The Hokies under Frank Beamer have been outstanding in all phases of special teams but particularly cause havoc with their kick-blocking ability. In 189 games under Beamer, Virginia Tech has 97 blocked kicks. Fifty-one of those have been blocked punts with 14 of the blocks resulting in touchdowns.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stoops bashes Saban's 'consolation' remark
- NCAA's top cop: Cheaters 'will be found out'
- NCAA infractions chair: Reasons for inactivity
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Franklin Virginia Tech Hokies Kids' Deluxe Uniform Set