NFL can't match college game
The NFL entertains America like no other sport, but it simply lacks the passion and tradition of college football.
- There is little doubt that football has become America's pastime. While television ratings show that more people prefer the NFL, I am proud to say I'd rather watch a college game.
The NFL entertains America like no other sport, but the feeling here remains that college football is more entertaining, diverse and fun. This is not a knock on pro football, it's just praise for the college game, which used to be the country's second-most-popular sport behind baseball.
That was before the NFL brilliantly created parity and its "any given Sunday" concept, matched only by its terrific leadership and marketing. Remember, the first Super Bowl didn't even sell out.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider