Schnellenberger created a monster
The University of Miami's journey to becoming a college football dynasty has been unique.
Miami's road to extraordinary success has been unique, indeed.
From 1983-2002, Miami played for the national title eight times. That in itself is amazing, but it's even more impressive considering four different coaches combined to win five national championships -- Howard Schnellenberger in 1983, Jimmy Johnson in 1987, Dennis Erickson in 1989 and '91 and Larry Coker in 2001.
That shows Miami's support system and recruiting attractiveness is as responsible as the respective coaches.
But there were plenty of growing pains along the way.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Miami Hurricanes Grey Football Practice Legend T-Shirt