Paterno not ready to say goodbye
Paterno has worked for Penn State for 54 years and has the same wife, Sue Paterno (part Laura Bush, part Teresa Heinz-Kerry), for 42 years. That's a Las Vegas parlay that seems unbeatable in today's society.
When he came to Penn State in 1950, shortly after graduating from Brown, a university that lacks available PSU majors like Tourism and Parks & Recreation, Paterno planned to stay a year or so before going to law school.
The last thing this country needs is another lawyer. So instead of the next Perry Mason, America got a coaching legend.
Earlier this year, Penn State decided to extend the 77-year-old coach's contract through 2008. The decision got mixed reviews from the media and the alumni. So did the 1940s movie classic "It's a Wonderful Life."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Penn State Nittany Lions White 'unrivaled' Football T-shirt