Sooners must contain Bush
In what should be a classic, the national title might come down to which Heisman winning QB has the ball last.
- Pro Player Stadium will play host to the BCS National Championship. There are many similarities between the Trojans and Sooners, including Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks. Both USC's Matt Leinart and Oklahoma's Jason White have thrown for more than 2,900 yards with only six interceptions.
When: Jan. 4, 8:00 p.m. ET (ABC)
Where: Miami, FL
Both teams have running backs who have scored 15 touchdowns (USC's Reggie Bush and LenDale White and Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson). And few head coaches in college football are better at managing games and getting their players ready to play than Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops.
With the Trojans and Sooners both ranked in the top 5 nationally in run defense, the pressure will be on Leinart and White to shoulder the offensive load. White has a more established receiving corps to work with, led by veterans Mark Clayton, Travis Wilson and Brandon Jones. The trio has combined for 1,788 yards and 20 touchdowns.
Leinart has an emerging young star in freshman WR Dwayne Jarrett, and a lot more versatility with Bush accounting for 478 receiving yards and seven receiving touchdowns. TEs Alex Holmes and Dominique Byrd have combined for another 770 yards through the air.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Oklahoma Sooners #10 Crimson Football Game Jersey
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider