AD says coach is secure
Dan Monson doesn't need to fret. He's safe at Minnesota and should be for years to come. Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi told ESPN.com that Monson's job is solid.
Monson, who should be receiving consideration for Big Ten coach of the year with the Gophers' 4-2 start in the league (14-5 overall), has four years remaining on his contract.
Maturi said Monson is in the first year without NCAA penalties that were left over from the Clem Haskins era. He said Monson was going to get five years after the probation as part of his contract.
"He's secure," Maturi said. "I told everyone last February to 'get over it, he's our basketball coach.' Dan Monson deserves a chance to coach without sanctions."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Blue 84 Men's Minnesota Golden Gophers Gold NCAA Men's 2014 NIT Champions T-Shirt