AD says coach is secure
- Previous Words: Thurs. | Wed. | Tues. | Mon. | Last week
Dan Monson doesn't need to fret. He's safe at Minnesota and should be for years to come. Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi told ESPN.com that Monson's job is solid.
Monson, who should be receiving consideration for Big Ten coach of the year with the Gophers' 4-2 start in the league (14-5 overall), has four years remaining on his contract.
Maturi said Monson is in the first year without NCAA penalties that were left over from the Clem Haskins era. He said Monson was going to get five years after the probation as part of his contract.
"He's secure," Maturi said. "I told everyone last February to 'get over it, he's our basketball coach.' Dan Monson deserves a chance to coach without sanctions."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Minnesota Golden Gophers Full-Sized Crossover Basketball