Proposal could save exempted tourneys
Weak fields in exempted tournaments might finally be a thing of the past after the NCAA membership endorsed for a vote in April a scheduling proposal from the Northeast Conference.
The proposal calls for 27 regular-season games, plus an exempted tournament (counting for one game against the maximum), plus a conference tournament. If it passes through the management council and the board of directors in April, the Maui Invitational, Great Alaska Shootout, Preseason NIT, Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, Guardians Classic and the like would be able to survive and likely flourish.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 2 Badgers need late rally to edge G'town
- No. 5 UNC stomps No. 22 UCLA in Bahamas
- Kansas rides Ellis to win in Orlando opener
- Gonzaga's Perkins (broken jaw) out indefinitely
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jansport Men's New Mexico Lobos Cherry Tournament Basketball T-shirt