Team preview: Illinois
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Bruce Weber had all the requisite training -- 19 seasons as Gene Keady's assistant, followed by a five-year head coaching stint at Southern Illinois, where he racked up 103 wins and two Missouri Valley Conference titles.
Despite that resume, however, Illini fans were under-whelmed after the 2002-03 season when their school hired Weber to succeed Kansas-bound Bill Self. The doubters grew more vocal after Illinois dropped non-conference games to North Carolina and Providence and clumsily opened Big Ten play at 3-3.
Second-guessing bordered on absurdity at times, as the Self-delusional populace questioned everything from Weber's wardrobe to his installation of the motion offense.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM