Team preview: Lipscomb
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Lipscomb's first season in NCAA Division I was an object lesson in perseverance. Sometimes if you weather enough blows, an unexpected bonus will drop in your lap. The Bisons lost 10-of-12 to close the '03-'04 campaign, including two bitter defeats to next-door neighbor Belmont.
However, in an April 29 legislative session, the NCAA Board of Directors commuted by one year the postseason ineligibility sentence of new Division I members, allowing the Bisons (and conference rival Gardner-Webb) to compete in the 2005 Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament and by extension the NCAA Tournament. Under the previous rule a team had to be an active Division I member for two years before it would become eligible to earn a conference's automatic qualifier in men's basketball.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM