Team preview: Radford
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
While Radford undergoes somewhat of an identity crisis as an athletic program, Highlanders coach Byron Samuels knows just what he wants his basketball team to be.
Radford, courted all summer by the Atlantic Sun Conference, ultimately put that far-flung league off to continue battle in the more geographically favorable Big South, a league of which RU was a charter member. Meanwhile, Samuels needs a winning season after two losing-albeit-feel-good campaigns.
His first team was a surprise finalist in the BSC Tournament at the conclusion of a 10-win year, and last year, the Highs improved to 12 wins but got bounced from the first round of the BSC Tournament for the first time since 1996.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
- Ejim chosen over Wiggins as Big 12's POY
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM