Team preview: Portland State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Things can only improve at Portland State, where the Vikings have finished last in the conference the last three seasons. This program has had little promise, pizzazz, or personality for years.
But that isn't third-year coach Heath Schroyer's fault. The Vikings have failed to capture fan support from a fickle Portland audience, which is obsessed with the Trail Blazers and nothing else. A large crowd for a PSU men's basketball might be 1,000, and routinely fewer than that turn up. Schroyer's not alone -- the football program also struggles at the gate, despite being in a metro area of around two million people.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
- Winthrop upsets High Point with last-second 3
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM