Team preview: Oregon State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
After ending last season with a heart-breaking 63-60 loss to USC, Oregon State coach Jay John did not spend the off-season mulling over what could have been -- he was too busy focusing on what can be in 2004-05.
Last year, the Beavers entered the final day of the regular season needing one more victory to lock up a sixth-place finish in the Pac-10, which would have earned them a spot in the league tournament. But that three-point loss at USC dropped OSU to ninth, one spot removed from qualifying for the postseason.
John remained positive after the game.
"I think the best thing about the last game of the season is none of the guys lost their career," he said.
This season, John returns his most experienced team since leaving Lute Olson's staff at Arizona three years ago for his first head-coaching job.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM