Team preview: New Mexico State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
The 2003-04 season was Lou Henson's 41st as a head coach. It probably ranks 41st on his list of favorites, too.
In a year when Henson learned he had to battle non-Hodgkin Lymphoma with chemotherapy, his players were fleeing, flunking out and flailing away. It began when his starting point guard, Jason Fontenet, announced he was transferring to Oregon State during the off-season.
Then Earl Calloway, who was expected to replace Fontenet at point, was kicked off the team in the preseason, and his replacement, Detruis Roberson, was let go for his alleged role in a bar fight in mid-January.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM