Team preview: Denver
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Fourth-year Denver coach Terry Carroll talked a lot before this season began about Billups and Nicholson. You'd think the NBA finals were still under way. But Carroll wasn't referring to the NBA champion's most valuable player and the NBA's most visible fan.
He's talking about Rodney Billups (10.4 ppg, 5.0 apg), a 5-10 senior guard who led the Sun Belt in steals (1.9) last year in his first season out of Los Angeles Valley Community College. Rodney is the younger brother of the Detroit Piston's Chauncey, MVP of the NBA Finals. Yes, he parlayed that relationship into some good seats for the playoffs.
Carroll is hoping that Billups' front row seat into the Pistons' glory and the Los Angeles Lakers' demise provided a good view of what Detroit's teamwork and the Lakers' lack thereof can create.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
- Ohio St. pulls away late, edges Michigan St.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM